[MediaWiki-l] Including a resource

Marcin Cieslak saper at saper.info
Wed Oct 28 11:59:30 UTC 2015

On 2015-10-27, Dennis Roczek <dennisroczek at libreoffice.org> wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>
> I try to include a simple number from another page. I have all
> possibilities how the number is provided. I tried to use the
> Extension:RSS for including, but sadly this extension is adding a <p>
> tags around the transclusion of the RSS feed.
>
> You can see one of my tries at
> https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/User:Dennisroczek (the number 121
> which has a few newlines around the 121).
>
> Additional you can see my test template which transcludes the number
> 121. As you can see in the wiki code (and in the history) I tried to
> experiment a few with CSS.
> https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/WikiAction/edit/Template:Test

Do you have to use RSS?

What I would do (also for the benefits of caching) is to update
the number externally by the bot editing the template.

I have a pywikipedia bot that updates currency tables from RSS:

https://bitbucket.org/plwiki/bot/src/66425d1aea15b8e4cacb63544840ca8bebbf2b41/meta/kursy/?at=default

Here are its contributions:

https://pl.wikinews.org/w/index.php?limit=50&tagfilter=&title=Specjalna%3AWk%C5%82ad&contribs=user&target=Saperka

~saper