[MediaWiki-l] Help debugging CirrusSearch problems?

Daniel Barrett danb at cimpress.com
Mon Oct 12 16:57:04 UTC 2015

We installed CirrusSearch recently to replace Lucene, and the results it returns from wiki searches seem wildly irrelevant at times.

For example, our wiki (200,000+ titles) has a number of pages that include the word "share" in the title. But when I search for "share" using CirrusSearch, none of these pages come up in the top 100 hits.  The first one is hit #120.  The #1 hit has "share" only in the names of two categories.

As a pathological example, I created a wiki page named "Share share share share share" and filled it with the word "share" over and over. When I search the wiki for "share", my page appears as hit number 750!  (If I search for "share share", my page comes up first.)

We're using the default CirrusSearch.php configuration except for the following overrides in LocalSettings.php:

$wgCirrusSearchWeights = array(
   'title' => 20,   // default 20
   'redirect' => 15,   // default 15
   'category' => 8,   // default 8
   'heading' => 4,   // default 5
   'opening_text' => 3,   // default 3
   'text' => 1,   // default 1
   'auxiliary_text' => 0.5,   // default 0.5
   'file_text' => 0.5,   // default 0.5
);

// Prevent some custom namespaces from showing in search results
$wgCirrusSearchNamespaceWeights = array(
        NS_VP_1 => 0,
        NS_VP_2 => 0,
        NS_VP_3  => 0,
);

$wgCirrusSearchDefaultNamespaceWeight = 0.5;
$wgCirrusSearchPowerSpecialRandom = false;

Any advice on how to debug these weird search results?
Thank you very much,
DanB