[MediaWiki-l] storing sessions in memcached

Tim Dunphy bluethundr at gmail.com
Sat Oct 3 23:12:50 UTC 2015

Hey guys,

I've been getting a lot of session errors in my wiki lately.

Just now I got this message when I tried to save an edit to my wiki:

*Sorry! We could not process your edit due to a loss of session data.* Please
try again. If it still does not work, try logging out
<http://wiki.jokefire.com/index.php/Special:UserLogout> and logging back in.

And often times when I'm trying to login I get complaints about cookies
needing to be enabled. Even though they are!

*Login error*
Jokefire Wiki uses cookies to log in users. You have cookies disabled.
Please enable them and try again.

I have sessions set to be stored in my LocalSettings.php file:

$wgSessionsInMemcached = true;

These are all the memcached settings I have in my LocalSettings.php file:

$wgDisableCounters = true;
$wgMainCacheType = CACHE_MEMCACHED;
$wgMemCachedServers = array( "xx.xx.xx.xxx:11211", "xx.xx.xx.xxx:11211",
"xx.xx.xx.xx:11211" );
$wgParserCacheType = CACHE_MEMCACHED; # optional
$wgMessageCacheType = CACHE_MEMCACHED; # optional
$wgSessionCacheType = CACHE_MEMCACHED;
$wgSessionsInMemcached = true;
$wgUseLocalMessageCache = true;
$wgUseGzip = true;
$wgGroupPermissions['*']['memcached'] = true;

I have these cookie settings in my php.ini

[root at ops1:~] #grep -i cookies /etc/php.ini | grep -v ';'
session.use_only_cookies = 1
session.use_cookies = 1

I'm wondering if there's any way I can verify that user sessions for media
wiki are being stored in memcached. And I'm wondering how I can best
troubleshoot these session errors I'm getting.

Thanks,
Tim
--
GPG me!!