[MediaWiki-l] Consensus on update process?

Bartosz Dziewoński matma.rex at gmail.com
Wed Dec 30 16:05:12 UTC 2015

On 2015-12-30 16:56, Frank Baxmann wrote:
> Yes, but with older versions you may get server problems.
> Meaning newer version (MW and extensions) may need newer
> DB, PHP and so on. So sometimes this will not work.
>
> Similar if you just try to copy an installation from an old
> server to a new one without updating the MW.
> Things like this gave me often occasion to cuss in the past.
> And I'm extension developer....

I suppose that's true (and the Upgrading guide I linked warns about it
at the very beginning), but it doesn't seem very relevant here :) An
automated updater wouldn't help with it. It sounds like you want
somebody to just manage your whole server; unfortunately people tend to
charge money for that ;)

There are several free hosting services for MediaWiki (Wikia being the
best-known one, but also ShoutWiki and a few others:
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Hosting_services), but they generally
don't give you the kind of flexibility you probably want if you choose
to run MediaWiki yourself.

--
Bartosz Dziewoński