[MediaWiki-l] My wiki stopped working

Bartosz Dziewoński matma.rex at gmail.com
Tue Dec 29 11:58:52 UTC 2015

On 2015-12-29 09:32, Nomad of Norad wrote:
> Yeah, very old install of Mediawiki.  Might be from a decade ago, my
> memory is hazy.  Presumably I can just install the newest version of
> Mediawiki and it will convert over the articles and login-accounts in
> the DB and stuff to whatever format the current one uses?  Or is there
> something I need to check first?

Yes, it should just work. Unless you're upgrading from MediaWiki version
older than 1.5, in which case it might be a bit more involved (there
were major schema changes in 1.5). The process is basically to extract
the new files over the old ones and run the update.php maintenance
script (or the web updater, if you don't have shell access and your wiki
is small).

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Upgrading explains it all rather
well, and also notes the various corner cases run into (but probably won't).

--
Bartosz Dziewoński