[MediaWiki-l] MediaWiki 1.26 Visual Editor question

Victor Danilchenko vdanilchenko at cimpress.com
Wed Dec 16 15:11:40 UTC 2015

Hi all,

I am trying to set up Visual Editor on our MediaWiki 1.26 installation (running on Ubuntu 15.04 LAMP stack, VisualEditor release REL1_26). I have set up Parsoid on a separate machine, from the Debian package (version 0.4.1), linked it to my MediaWiki instance, and it works - for instance, invoking http://test-apps.km.cimpress.net:8142/vdanilchenko-corewiki/v3/page/html/Parsoid correctly retrieves and parses the contents of my 'Parsoid' wiki page.

The problem is on the Wiki side. I have downloaded and installed Visual Editor, loaded the submodule, and configured LocationSettings.php correctly, as far as I can tell:

require_once "$IP/extensions/VisualEditor/VisualEditor.php";
$wgDefaultUserOptions['visualeditor-enable'] = 1;
$wgHiddenPrefs[] = 'visualeditor-enable';
$wgDefaultUserOptions['visualeditor-enable-experimental'] = 0;

$wgVirtualRestConfig['modules']['parsoid'] = array(
  'url' => 'http://test-apps.km.cimpress.net:8142',
  'domain' => 'vdanilchenko-corewiki',
  'prefix' => 'vdanilchenko-corewiki'
);

However, when I hit 'edit' while viewing a page, 3 things happen:

1.       Visual Editor fires up, but the 'Save page' button is greyed out. I can edit the text, but not save it.

2.       All template and function calls are expanded and editable as literal text, which is of course totally wrong.

3.       The following errors get logged in the console, the 1st one 4 different times with slightly different call stacks (the original invoker being at anonymous function at ve.ui.LinkContextItem.js:27, ve.ui.LinkContextItem.js:27, ve.ui.ToolbarDialogTool.js:24, and ve.ui.LanguageInspectorTool.js:19 respectively):

Uncaught TypeError: Expecting a function in instanceof check, but got undefined           oojs.jquery.js:93
undefinedoo.inheritClass             @ oojs.jquery.js:93
(anonymous function)                   @ ve.ui.LinkContextItem.js:27 (this is the part that varies)

Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property 'static' of undefined                                              ve.ce.Surface.js:376
ve.ce.Surface.getSelection          @            ve.ce.Surface.js:376

ve.ce.Surface.focus                        @            ve.ce.Surface.js:429

(anonymous function)                   @            ve.init.mw.DesktopArticleTarget.js:361

Can anyone help me out, let me know what I am doing wrong, or what I am missing?