[MediaWiki-l] MediaWiki-l Digest, Vol 147, Issue 3

Daniel Bishop aerosatar at gmail.com
Wed Dec 16 03:34:42 UTC 2015

I usually don't weigh in on these conversations, but I feel like I should speak up here too. I must also mention that, while I am not a developer, I *am* a reasonably technically capable user.

All that being said: Mediawiki is hard to upgrade. That is a fact. It is the *only* software I have ever come across where the Official upgrade instructions are, essentially, "make a backup and do a completely fresh install, run a script, then re-customise".

And before anyone says that isn't true, these are taken from the Mediawiki upgrade page:

"You should put the decompressed tarball in a new and empty folder on your server. If you instead extract the new version directly on top of your old version, rather than in a new directory, you should follow the instructions described in Back up existing files and the database: otherwise, if you've made any customizations you may erase them in a way that leaves you with no reference to re-apply them from. Extracting a tarball over top of your live copy of MediaWiki can also leave behind files from the old version of MediaWiki which may interfere with the upgraded code. It's recommended that you unpack the new files into a new directory, and then apply customizations to the new directory (restoring LocalSettings.php, images folder, extensions, and other customizations like custom skins)."

"If using Git, export the files into a clean location, and then copy the old customized files into the new location as described in the previous section."

Simply dismissing people's completely valid comments about this with "your case is not normal" (and similar) is not conducive to the continued life of your product. (Yes, Mediawiki is essentially open-source freeware, but it is still a product.)

There are a lot of software packages out there that update more frequently than Mediawiki does (in terms of official releases), but all of these have few- or no-click updates. Why does Mediawiki require a completely fresh install every time? Why can a new installation and update method not be developed?

Jan, and many others, have made a lot of valid comments on this discussion. So why have they all been summarily dismissed with such... complete lack of consideration?

We are not all developers. We do not all have that level of skill.

We are not all able to devote large amounts of time to keeping the software 'up-to-date' with the current (rather involved) method.

We are not asking for the more edge-case scenarios to all be covered in every way possible (a gap of several years *should* require/be best served by a fresh install).

We are simply asking for it to be easier to upgrade our Mediawiki installations so that we can make use of the features, improvements and fixes that the developers put time into doing. (Which, incidentally, would also likely vastly reduce the number of edge-case installations out there.)

The fact that this whole debate was started over a question about PHP versions (i.e. software dependencies) is also rather interesting.

Regards,
AerosAtar

P.S. FWIW, my install is 1.26a (559e61e) running on PHP5.6.4-4ubuntu6.3 (fpm-fcgi).

P.P.S. Apologies if my thoughts are not entirely coherent or do not make complete sense... I usually stay out of such conversations for a reason. ;)