[MediaWiki-l] What PHP version do you use?

Peter Presland peter at wikispooks.org
Mon Dec 7 13:12:10 UTC 2015

Tim - FWIW

I function as the webmaster-cum-OS sysadmin for the Wikispooks project
wiki which runs on a Centos 7 VPS

I entered 'hard' for the php upgrade difficulty because of a disastrous
experience a few years ago. I cannot remember the detail of the php
releases concerned but briefly, I upgraded to a version that was not
available through either the Centos standard or EPEL repos. I believe
the upgrade was prompted by a Mediawiki upgrade from V-16 to 17 or 18.
Got it all working OK but all sorts of problems, clearly related to the
upgrade, followed. Attempting to fix them eventually ended with my
having to re-commission the server pretty much from scratch. My lack of
professional Linux sysadmin experience was undoubtedly to blame but the
lesson I took away - and which I will not lightly override - is that,
for near-core OS components - ie php and a few others - do NOT install
anything that is not included in the standard and/or EPEL repos unless
absolutely forced to.

I doubt I am alone in that stance.

Current Centos 7 EPEL repo php version is 5.4.16

Peter Presland