[MediaWiki-l] What PHP version do you use? (Chris Koerner)

David Shaw david.shaw.x23 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 6 16:14:01 UTC 2015

I concur with those who mention the difficulty of upgrading. I'm running
MW 1.26.0 in a single-click installation on AWS.

Other products I use -- including open source -- have a graceful and
online update process.

MW is built by developers for developers. I'm not a developer and every
time I upgrade I'm scared. It's a fraught exercise.

I have a few things that don't work, and I have no idea why. For
example, file uploads stopped working somewhere along the way but I
don't know when exactly. I didn't change file permissions; although I've
fiddled with them endlessly since. I suspect it's something in the base
AWS stack, but what? [Permissions seem to be an area of discussion with
different falvours of Linux.]

I would like to install Parsoid (why isn't it in the base install?) but
nobody can offer insight into how to install it at docroot when you only
have docroot access. I hired a Linux pro to help with that one and he
threw his hands up. [Installation is easy, but how do you start it up
automatically?]

Why is the mobile frontend an add-on and not the default? It's 2015...

Quite a few extensions have gone to a DevOps approach of continuous
development and release, but how do I know when to update them? There is
no online notifiction.

All of these and more point to the legacy and Dev nature of MW.

David

--
*David Shaw pmp, pcip*
Senior Management Consultant | Information Architect

Connect on my YouTube tutorials:
Information management Tutorials
<https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCppqnKc2XzjRIcUltgo1GRw>

Connect on LinkedIn & my IM/KM Blog: