[MediaWiki-l] Documentation needed for downloading skins via Git

Chad innocentkiller at gmail.com
Tue Oct 7 03:39:49 UTC 2014

On Mon, Oct 6, 2014 at 8:07 PM, Yaron Koren <yaron at wikiworks.com> wrote:

> I upgraded a wiki (via Git) to the latest version, which is 1.25alpha, and
> discovered that core MediaWiki no longer includes any skins. To get skins
> via Git, the error message at the top of the wiki helpfully recommended
> "Cloning one of the mediawiki/skins/* repositories via git [sic] into the
> skins/ directory of your MediaWiki installation." What was missing,
> however, was an actual Git command to call. I looked in mediawiki.org and
> couldn't find anything either. I tried some obvious commands, like:
>
> git clone http://git.wikimedia.org/tree/mediawiki%2Fskins/Vector.git
>
> ...but those didn't work. Thankfully, someone on IRC suggested the
> following:

Of course they wouldn't, that's just a web url. I don't ever recommend
cloning from git.wm.o since it's so buggy and unreliable, but if you must
the URL you're wanting is:

https://git.wikimedia.org/git/mediawiki/skins/Vector.git

> git clone https://github.com/wikimedia/mediawiki-skins-Vector
>
> ...which did work. But that doesn't seem like the official location; and in
> any case, this really should be documented somewhere. Can anyone help with
> this?

Github is just a mirror. The official location is still Gerrit. You want:

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/p/mediawiki/skins/Vector.git
-or-
ssh://gerrit.wikimedia.org:29418/mediawiki/skins/Vector.git

-Chad