[MediaWiki-l] automated category creation approach?

Bill Traynor btraynor at gmail.com
Thu Nov 13 14:00:15 UTC 2014

I'm hoping to gain some insight into how I might accomplish the
following.  I have an XML file that contain my company's product tree.
The file is hierarchical and contains the following structure:

<familyhierarchy>
      <family>
            <familyid>
            <name>
            <parentId>
            <url>
            <level>

I need to import this file and automatically create Categories and
applicable SubCategories in my wiki on a scheduled basis, picking up
any changes that may have occurred over time.

How would one approach such a task?

My first thought is a script (PHP, Python, whatever) run periodically
using cron to parse the file and trigger Category/SubCategory
creation.  Is this even possible?

My second thought is to create an extension to parse the file
periodically and create the Categories/SubCategories.

Any advice as to how to solve this would be appreciated.

Thanks
Bill