[MediaWiki-l] QuestyCaptcha dynamic questions

Tom tom at hutch4.us
Fri Nov 7 14:54:42 UTC 2014

Without a doubt the original solution by Jamie is awesome. When I implemented it last year I took it a step further. I generated the random string, but also generated a random number of positions to ask in a random order.

Anyone registering would be presented with provide anyone of these random combinations:

Sixth, fourth and ninth
Or
Fifth and ninth
Or
First, seventh, third and  fourth

160 registrations a day dropped to 8-12 overnight.

I've seen registrations climbing again, 20-30 a day. I've considered randomizing the output of the order with a mix of images of the position names with actual text.

Second, sixth(image), eighth(image), fourth

There will never be a perfect solution. It a fine line between real user usability vs stopping spammers.

Tom