[MediaWiki-l] Wiki spam. Stronger fightback.

Henny Savenije webmaster at henny-savenije.pe.kr
Fri May 24 10:27:20 UTC 2013

I am using already for quite a while QuestyCaptcha
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:QuestyCaptcha

It allows you to ask a number of questions which will randomly change.

You could use for instance capitals of countries or states.
It works like a charm for me. None of the spammers ever got through.

At 11:36 AM 5/24/2013 Friday +0200, you wrote:
>While not everybody is able to reduce their profit margins as Christ
>and Tim said, everyone running a MediaWiki wiki can experiment and
>document best practices. MediaWiki already has many defense tools,
>but they're often unknown or hard to use (as this very thread
>shows).        One site I reached from the link in the original post
>sells at 40 $/6 months a list of a couple thousands wikis which have
>no captcha at all on registration and a few hundreds which don't
>have rel=nofollow... The owners of those wikis need some better
>reading.    A few days ago I refactored/updated
>https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Combating_spam ; help is
>needed to coordinate it better with
>https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Combating_vandalism . My main
>question is whether IP blacklists help stop all those proxies with
>dozens thousands ever-changing IPs sold for spammers' use, or are
>just a CPU sink.        On CAPTCHAs, we already know that
>FancyCaptcha is useless, but it's not clear what to do. A tour I did
>across 500 wikis some time ago seemed to show that QuestyCaptcha is
>vastly superior to the other options, for the average wiki.
><https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Thread:Extension_talk:ConfirmEdit/Wikis_account_registration_tour>
>If confirmed, it could be made the default in the installer, which
>could also make the user set custom questions in the install process
>itself and encourage frequent update of the questions. Nemo

                  _   _
                 (o) (o)
      oOOO----(_)----OOOo---
Henny (Lee Hae Kang)
-----------------------------
http://www.henny-savenije.pe.kr Portal to all my sites
http://www.hendrick-hamel.henny-savenije.pe.kr (in English) Feel free
to discover Korea with Hendrick Hamel (1653-1666)
http://www.hendrick-hamel.henny-savenije.pe.kr/indexk2.htm In Korean
http://www.hendrick-hamel.henny-savenije.pe.kr/Dutch In Dutch
http://www.vos.henny-savenije.pe.kr Frits Vos Article about Witsen
and Eibokken and his first Korean-Dutch dictionary
http://www.cartography.henny-savenije.pe.kr (in English) Korea
through Western Cartographic eyes
http://www.hwasong.henny-savenije.pe.kr Hwasong the fortress in Suwon
http://www.oldKorea.henny-savenije.pe.kr Old Korea in pictures