[MediaWiki-l] Spambots and CPU usage

Chris Steipp csteipp at wikimedia.org
Sat Mar 30 20:57:22 UTC 2013

On Sat, Mar 30, 2013 at 11:16 AM, Mark A. Hershberger <mah at everybody.org> wrote:
> On 03/30/2013 12:47 PM, Dan Fisher wrote:
>> Is it a problem? Yes, they're constantly trying to break in and that
>> increases CPU usage. I dont have any analysis to prove it
>
> I suggest that you rely on some "proof".
>
> What if you blocked the spammers completely -- found some magic rage of
> IP addresses and banned them completely -- and your CPU usage was still
> skyrocketing?  Well, at least you would have fewer spammers but you
> already said you weren't actually worried about spam, just CPU usage.
>
> Make sure you're focused on the right solution to your CPU problem.

I would agree with that, and add that spam fighting tools
(AbuseFilter, Spam / Title blacklist, etc) are some of the highest
consumers of cpu for each wikipedia edit. So too much spam protection
and you'll be right back where you're at with cpu. So you definitely
want to do some profiling, and make sure you're addressing the biggest
issues first.