[MediaWiki-l] Third-Party Users Wish List - developing solutions without the WMF

Mark A. Hershberger mah at everybody.org
Mon Jan 28 16:56:52 UTC 2013

On 01/28/2013 11:26 AM, Yury Katkov wrote:
> The WMF position
> here is the following: "if you need access control, if you want to hide
> some stuff from some groups of users - get out of here and choose another
> wiki engine." If you're asking us about our problems - here is one of the
> most depressing problem of all.

Despite this, MediaWiki has grown far beyond the WMF.  For instance,
Semantic MediaWiki -- which the Foundation does not use -- is at the
point where it could be considered a fork of MW.

There are enough non-WMF-but-core MW developers that enhancements to
make our favorite Wiki software into software that supports robust
access control are feasible.

It would take some committed effort, probably require subsidizing the
development from the funds collected from interested people, but it is
certainly something that is possible to implement without WMF support.

Would something like KickStarter work here?

--
http://hexmode.com/

Language will always shift from day to day. It is the wind blowing
    through our mouths. -- http://hexm.de/np