[MediaWiki-l] Third-Party Users Wish List - Does Anyone Know of Existing/Experimental Solutions?

Ingo Malchow imalchow at kde.org
Mon Jan 28 12:18:42 UTC 2013

Am Montag, 28. Januar 2013, 14:07:45 schrieb Maria Miteva:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I have been talking to some third-party users trying to learn more about
> what they would like to see happening in MediaWiki in the near future. Here
> is a list of the things on the wish list, with the ones on top being more
> popular.

<snip>
> 10. Easy way of gracefully retiring old tags (e.g. Google Maps extension is
> no longer supported, replaced with Maps which has different tags)

Just to have it mentioned, the replace text extension
(https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Replace_Text ) makes it a sharm for
admins to bunch-replace outdated tags with new ones. We had that problem once
with one of the syntaxhighlighting extensions and a switch to the new one.

> 11. Update to the documentation about creating a simple extension that is
> XSS safe.
>
> 12. Mobile version for website that turns with MediaWiki   - this is in
> progress
> http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Mobile_support_in_MediaWiki_core
>
> 13. MediaWiki Core API.
> "Not the HTTP-API but the set of PHP classes in the core that are less
> likely to change in the next version. Core developers to think about
> MediaWiki as framework with programming interfaces for extension
> developers. All the changes in those interfaces have to be calm, with slow
> deprecation. A role model for that is Python compiler."
>
> Sorry for the long email and thank you if you made it here. The alternative
> was to send many emails and I thought that would be too spammy :)  More to
> come soon !
>
> Mariya

Cheerio,
Ingo Malchow
--
(neverendingo)
KDE Community Working Group, KDE User Working Group