[MediaWiki-l] [Mediawiki-enterprise] Is this still up-to-date? NOLA Hackaton 2011 Third party committers help

Mark A. Hershberger mah at everybody.org
Tue Jan 22 15:58:25 UTC 2013

On 01/22/2013 06:52 AM, Mariya Nedelcheva Miteva wrote:
> Mark, could you share more about the relevant discussion you mentioned
> and , if you had a chance to look at them, your thoughts on the notes
> from the hackaton?

Mostly, we discussed ways that we could begin working with non-WMF
MediaWiki users -- especially the larger ones like Wikia.

Some of that has happened -- Wikia is involved in the development of the
VisualEditor, for example.  Unfortunately, that feels like an isolated
incident.

The "new" installer is a great example of this.  The Foundation has no
vested interest in the installer -- they have their own methods for
setting up and maintaining wikis.  In fact, while I was at the WMF, I
used the Installer as an example of how the primary MediaWiki developers
aren't focused *only* on the Foundation's needs.

Chad did some really great work on it and he had some good ideas for a
configuration front end.  But now that he is working on Git/Gerrit for
the Foundation, he doesn't have time to maintain the installer or
implement the configuration front end.  But he is still the only person
(according to https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Developers/Maintainers) who
can +2 changes to the installer despite the fact that his focus is
elsewhere.

That said, I think the summary at
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/NOLA_Hackathon/Saturday#Third-party_committers_help
still applies.  But more work is needed to diversify the working
interests of MediaWiki committers so that there are more non-WMF
developers involved.

Mark.

--
http://hexmode.com/

Language will always shift from day to day. It is the wind blowing
    through our mouths. -- http://hexm.de/np