[MediaWiki-l] Requesting help and advice on making a custom Vector skin

Arcane 21 arcane at live.com
Fri Jan 18 00:51:32 UTC 2013

My question is simple: How do I (A) clone the Vector skin and (B) make it so my customized Vector skin can have custom background and text colors.

I tried using this skin initially: https://code.google.com/p/darkvector/

Unfortunately, it has graphical errors in my version of MediaWiki (currently 1.19.3), so I decided it would be better to take my own version of Vector, clone under a different name (currently DarkVector is the name I'm using), then I planned to make my own version of darkvector (I was going to change the colors slightly, but I like the version on google code)

Unfortunately, I'm only really good at editing CSS. I tried editing my clone .php files, but I either (A) keep screwing up the layout (and the sidebar disappears) or (B) I get it looking right but all of my edits to the screen.css to change the colors have no effect.

I'm not sure I know what I doing, so if someone could walk me through what I'd like to do or could provided me pointers on what I might be getting wrong, I would appreciate the assistance.