[MediaWiki-l] Special:AllMessages

Brion Vibber brion at pobox.com
Fri Jan 11 22:39:56 UTC 2013

On Fri, Jan 11, 2013 at 2:17 PM, Steve VanSlyck <s.vanslyck at spamcop.net>wrote:

> Hello everyone, I'm back and lots dumber than the first time around.
>
> At one time the word "Gender" in the user profile preferences page was
> configurable as a system message. On my wiki I want to change the word to
> "Sex" (since it is asking whether the user is male or female) but I cannot
> locate where that word is found in Special:AllMessages.

The message you're looking for is probably this one:
'yourgender'                    => 'Gender:',

However this is actually asking for *gender* for grammatical purposes;
MediaWiki doesn't care about your sex, just what pronoun and/or other
grammatical features you prefer to be referred to with. (Some languages
just have "he" and "she" pronouns like English; others match adjectives or
even verbs to genders of subjects.)

-- brion