[MediaWiki-l] Responsive skins?

Ingo Malchow imalchow at kde.org
Fri Jan 11 17:51:47 UTC 2013

Am Freitag, 11. Januar 2013, 16:14:35 schrieb Leonard Wallentin:
> Hello,
> I'm running a site with a (fairly) responsive skin at http://säsongsmat.nu
> (large thumbnails and image page images will resize, etc). It's far from
> perfect, and some parts are more RD than others. One think that I haven't
> looked into at all, is all the special pages that are build with tables
> (Special:UserLogin and many more). Making custom versions of them all would
> be a lot of job, so I'm asking here first: Has anyone done something like
> that already? I know there are a few responsive skins out there, did any of
> them address the special pages? Best regardsLeo Wallentin

Hello Leonard,

for KDE we did implement a (mostly) responsive layout for our main wikis. See
e.g. userbase.kde.org
The theme is a customized version of the well known Bootstrap CSS framework
(http://twitter.github.com/bootstrap/ ) and ships most necessary parts for
responsiveness.
Special pages don't really introduce a problem as far as i could see. Problems
arise when something outputs a hardcoded pixel value on table cells or when
someone thinks a table with >5 columns is a clever idea :) This does only
count for the content though.
But as far as i can tell, the core mediawiki only produces tables with an
inline value of width=100% at worst, which is fine with most standard grid
based layouts.

Cheerio,
Ingo Malchow
--
(neverendingo)
KDE Community Working Group, KDE User Working Group