[MediaWiki-l] Need extension for creating wiki link w/auto-incremented page title

Al Johnson alj62888 at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 7 01:11:35 UTC 2013

Hi,

I need an extension that works like the <unique number> parameter in the {{info }} tag.  But, I need to be able to create links (w/a template) that I can place anywhere.  Basically, given a desired page name, the extension will check the DB to see if a page by that name already exists, and if so, append a unique number to that page name.  Then, that new page name is used to create a link to the new page that can later be clicked on to create/edit the new page.

I would appreciate any suggestions on extensions or even pointers on what functions to use in a custom extension.

Thanks,
Al