[MediaWiki-l] Mediawiki as an Enterprise wiki

Yury Katkov katkov.juriy at gmail.com
Sun Aug 11 03:43:18 UTC 2013

>So if we compare ACL extensions to Windows, we will say that it' stable,
but may crash sometimes.

Well, not literally crashes. ;-)

If your goal is to hide some pages from some groups of people in order not
to confuse them - well then MediaWiki has good ACL. If however your goal is
to hide some info to prevent access, or if you presuppose the possible
misuse or malicious users or want to store confidential information - well,
sorry: I can retrieve the data stored on any mediawiki page if I want to.

The possible workaround here is NOT to store some data in the wikipages and
create SpecialPages with strict access control instead. For instance
Wikipedia uses AbuseFilter extension where some rules are hidden from the
eyes of ordinary people: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:AbuseFilter

-----
Yury Katkov, WikiVote