[Mediawiki-l] Newbie question about short Urls

Phil Rice phil.rice.erudine at googlemail.com
Wed May 30 10:21:31 UTC 2012

I'm following the instructions on setting up mediawiki's ShortUrls (
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Short_URL), and have run into a
problem. I hope this is the correct mailing list for this sort of question.
If not, my apologies, and could you let me know the correct one?

In my localsetting.php file, I have lines:
   $wgScriptPath       = "/mediawiki";
   $wgScriptExtension  = ".php";
   $wgArticalPath      = "/wiki/$1";
   $wgUsePathInfo      = true;

In my apache httpd.conf file, I have mod_alias loaded, and the lines
Alias /wiki "C:/Program Files (x86)/Apache Software
Foundation/Apache2.2/htdocs/mediawiki/index.php"
 AcceptPathInfo on

I am currently running on Windows 7 / 64 bit. My apache server is 2.2.22.
The Special:Version page reports.
 ProductVersion MediaWiki <https://www.mediawiki.org/> 1.19.0
PHP<http://www.php.net/> 5.2.17
(apache2handler) MySQL <http://www.mysql.com/> 5.1.58-community
I have attached localsettings.php and httpd.conf

At the moment the wiki is not available from the internet (it is only
available from localhost)

I have restarted the apache server and I have had partial success. When I
type "localhost/wiki/MainPage", the server responds with a status 301/moved
permanently and the browser loads "localhost/mediawiki/index.php/MainPage".

The behaviour I want is that the server should serve up the content without
a redirect, so that bookmarks work, and the urls look elegant.

I have read the apache mod_alias manual page, and google searched for
"mediawiki redirect shorturl" without much success.

Do any of you have any suggestions on how to proceed?

Thanks
Phil