[Mediawiki-l] Page Protection

Platonides Platonides at gmail.com
Wed May 9 22:15:40 UTC 2012

On 09/05/12 23:55, Turnbough, Bradley E. wrote:
> On 09/05/12 23:05, Turnbough, Bradley E. wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Version 1.14 MediaWiki
>
> Why are you using such old version?
>
> ---Because it's stable and I don't need any of the features in a newer version.
> We're operating a business that relies on wiki's and there is no need
or want
> to upgrade it right now.

It is known to have security issues.
And almost on any issue/incompatibility you encounter, you'll be asked
to upgrade first.

It's your call, though.

> ---Because these are legal documents/articles and they can't be altered.
Heh, I wouldn't have called my legal team 'DrawingQuality'

> On top of that, I have thousands of users.  I can't constantly effectively
> communicate "don't edit page, x, y, z, w, m, l, p,.....etc".
People usually use a template on the top of the page saying
"This page is a legal document approved by the Elomin Council. Do not
change this page without approval of the almighty CEO if you don't want
to suffer a slow and painful death"  (or some equivalent internal
wording ;) )

> Also, I can't pay folks to constantly watch articles for changes.
The Watchlist and Related changes tools make easy to detect changes
on such kind of not-to-be-changed documents.

> If auditors show up at the door and want to see the info,
>do YOU have time to revert back unapproved changes?  I certainly don't.

FlaggedRevs may be more appropiate for your needs.

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:FlaggedRevs