[Mediawiki-l] Page Protection

Turnbough, Bradley E. bturnbough at belcan.com
Wed May 9 21:55:10 UTC 2012

-----Original Message-----
From: mediawiki-l-bounces at lists.wikimedia.org [mailto:mediawiki-l-bounces at lists.wikimedia.org] On Behalf Of Platonides
Sent: Wednesday, May 09, 2012 4:35 PM
To: mediawiki-l at lists.wikimedia.org
Subject: Re: [Mediawiki-l] Page Protection

On 09/05/12 23:05, Turnbough, Bradley E. wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Version 1.14 MediaWiki

Why are you using such old version?

---Because it's stable and I don't need any of the features in a newer version.  We're operating a business that relies on wiki's and there is no need or want to upgrade it right now.

> I need to be able to utilize "Page Protection" in my MediaWiki installation.

To use the page proctection mechanism of MediaWiki, you use the protect tab. You need to be a sysop to have that (or otherwise be in a group with the protect right).

Or do you mean http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:PageProtection ?
That seems to hide from view page sections, not what you want.

> I have absolutely no clue how to do it and the explanations I've found via google are only confusing me.
>
> Can someone please provide me with a step by step solution (including
> the why and how for each step)
>
> The ONLY thing that I've been able to figure out so far is that I had to create a group "DrawingQuality"
> and assign it the "protect" right in LocalSettings.php.  The group
shows up in the Special:ListGroupRights
> mediawiki page, so I believe that is correct.  I'm not sure if that
group has all of the rights that
> they should have, however.

> I want that group to be able to protect pages.  If they are the ones
> who protect the page, I want them and only them to be able to unprotect it.

You can't. Anyone able to protect a page, can also unprotect it.

You could make DrawingQuality the only ones able to do that, but I see no reason for that.

You seem to want a group of people setting the quality of the pages, and then protect them so that nobody can alter it.
Think a bit. Do you really need to do enforce that protection? If only X and Y guys should put marks, anyone else responsible enough wouldn't be doing it. And in a wiki it's trivial to find who changed that when it shouldn't (so he can be 'punished').
Specially, you should trust your wiki sysops not to do such things.
Also, there may be reasons to change the content of the page even if it's quality is set. For instance, it may be appropiate to change a bit on the description.

---Because these are legal documents/articles and they can't be altered.  On top of that, I have thousands of users.  I can't constantly effectively communicate "don't edit page, x, y, z, w, m, l, p,.....etc".  Also, I can't pay folks to constantly watch articles for changes.  If auditors show up at the door and want to see the info,  do YOU have time to revert back unapproved changes?  I certainly don't.