[Mediawiki-l] Signs in Mediawiki

Amir E. Aharoni amir.aharoni at mail.huji.ac.il
Tue May 8 15:32:04 UTC 2012

2012/5/8 Isabell Alcott <uv22ealcott at googlemail.com>:
> well,
>
> mediawiki does not even add the simpliest arrows or signs when i delete any
> kind of formatting or fonts.
>
> here a result when i use a TXT Version of my text.
>
> http://s1.directupload.net/images/120508/pttzm4ph.jpg

They are simple only according to Microsoft Word. It uses a
proprietary format and it's hard hard to import information from it.
MediaWiki uses Unicode, which is an open standard.

"F081" is a private use character according to Unicode. This basically
means that it has no standard usage. Microsoft uses them sometimes for
various things which are hard to decipher, because the format is
secret, so MediaWiki can't do much with it.

Word is a popular and important format, of course, and I wish that
there was a good import filter, but currently there isn't.

http://aharoni.wordpress.com
‪“We're living in pieces,
I want to live in peace.” – T. Moore‬