[Mediawiki-l] Signs in Mediawiki

Amir E. Aharoni amir.aharoni at mail.huji.ac.il
Tue May 8 06:13:05 UTC 2012

2012/5/8 Isabell Alcott <uv22ealcott at googlemail.com>:
> Hello,
>
> I would like to include special signs in my new 1.19 Mediawiki
> installation, but they are showing not right. I have 200 *.doc files which
> need to be indexed all into one MW Installation.
>
> http://s14.directupload.net/images/120508/ooantyz5.jpg

How are these signs written in the doc files? Are they Unicode
characters or are they Latin letters disguised by some "dingbats"
font? What happens if you select such a character and change the font
to Times New Roman? If it turns to a simple Latin letter, then you
have two choices:
1. Convert the characters to the corresponding Unicode characters.
2. Upload them as-is, and put a <span style="font-family: 'DINGBATS
FONT NAME'>CHARACTER</span> on each character.

If they already are Unicode characters, the problem may be in the way
you import the files. What do you use to import them into the wiki?