[Mediawiki-l] Fwd: Dealing with corrupt pages

Tim Starling tstarling at wikimedia.org
Thu Mar 8 04:25:57 UTC 2012

On 08/03/12 13:59, Sakshale eQuorian wrote:
> I have a hobby site that was attacked by Chinese language spammers awhile
> back.
> MediaWiki: 1.18.0, PHP: 5.2.17 (cgi-fcgi), MySQL: 5.1.56, Apache: 2.2.x,
> CentOS
>
> http://gz.equoria.net/index.php?title=Main_Page
>
> They left behind hundreds of pages with corrupt titles;
>
> http://gz.equoria.net/index.php?title=Special:UncategorizedPages
>
> The MediaWiki delete function can't work on pages that can't be accessed,
> so how can I clean up this mess?
>
> Will cleanupTitles.php<http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:CleanupTitles.php>
>  help?

The titles seem to have invalid UTF-8 sequences in them. I'm not sure
how it's possible to create such titles, in any version of MediaWiki.
If anyone knows how to do this in MediaWiki 1.18, please file a bug.

Yes, cleanupTitles.php will rename all the pages to valid titles. You
can then use deleteBatch.php to delete them.

-- Tim Starling