[Mediawiki-l] CAPTCHA recommendation for account-creation bots?

Benjamin Lees emufarmers at gmail.com
Wed Mar 7 02:19:07 UTC 2012

On Mon, Mar 5, 2012 at 4:32 PM, Platonides <Platonides at gmail.com> wrote:
> I think you could generate the captcha images locally and upload them to
> the server. It's much easier to fullfil the python requisites at the
> user box than in the server.
> I don't think it has been proposed before, though. But with a good
> documentation, that could be a much nice path for FancyCaptcha users.

That approach certainly works, but given how difficult the average
user (especially the average user on shared hosting) finds the
process, I'm not sure how practical it would end up being.
But document it and prove me wrong. :-)

It could also be possible to replace the Python script with something
written entirely in PHP, using GD or whatever.  Maybe.  But if it
turns out that bots are getting through it just as easily as
reCAPTCHA, then there's not much point.