[Mediawiki-l] Template sharing question

John W. Foster jfoster81747 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 27 13:38:01 UTC 2012

I'm wondering if there has been any suggestion to set up a template
sharing area in Mediawiki, or all Mediawiki based sites similar to
instant commons. I have noticed that there are a LOT of us , me included
that use the templates from other sites. I certainly don't have the
skill to write them myself so I usually just copy & paste them. However
if they are upgraded by the authors, I don't usually get the updates. It
seems this would be especially helpful to those maintaining translated
sites. I realize this would not work for all templates as it doesn't for
all media in commons. I use some original media & some from instant
commons. Template sharing should work just as easily, & it would assist
in growing Wikipedia more quickly.
Any thoughts??