[Mediawiki-l] after upgrading to Mediawiki 1.17.0 the background color of my tables has disappeared

Krinkle krinklemail at gmail.com
Thu Sep 29 18:31:41 UTC 2011

Do you mean a background-color that you specifically specified or the
default background-color (which was white).

Consider the following two examples:

{| style="background-color: red;"
! foo
|-
| bar
|}

{| class="wikitable"
! foo
|-
| bar
|}

If the above two do not have a background color (the former from the style
attribute, the latter via the "table.wikitable" css rule) on your wiki,
then please file a bug as this should still work.

If you mean the default background color for plain tables, eg:

{|
! foo
|-
| bar
|}

then it is not a bug. This white background color was intentionally removed
in 1.17. It was once added to avoid lines from headings from going through
the background of a table. This was fixed in 1.17, making the
background-color hack on tables,
forms and thumbnails redundant.

If you want to style your tables, please do so by using a default style
(like class="wikitable") or by creating your own classes on the
[[MediaWiki:Common.css] page of your wiki.

eg.

" table.foobar { background: grey; } table.foobar th { background: black;
color: white; }"
which creates grey tables with a black heading.

or put the following on Common.css if you want the old behavior back from
<1.16:

" table { background-color: white; } "
(without the " quotes " );

--