[Mediawiki-l] How do I update mediawiki on a shared webhosting?

Isabell Alcott uv22ealcott at googlemail.com
Thu Sep 29 00:34:58 UTC 2011

Im using Version 1.15 (sorry, I did not mention that)

So I am running through these steps:

Web (MediaWiki 1.16 and earlier)

In MediaWiki 1.16 and earlier, you can upgrade the wiki by re-running the web
installer<http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Installing_MediaWiki#Run_the_installation_script>.
To do this, I follow these steps:

   1. Rename *LocalSettings.php* to *LocalSettings.old.php*
   2. Make the *config* directory writable by the web server
   3. Make sure the database user has full rights to the database
   4. Browse to the wiki and start the installer Fill in the form fields
   with the same values as was done during the previous version's
installation.When
   the installation process starts, the script will detect existing MediaWiki
   tables, and upgrade their schema.When this is complete, a new *
   LocalSettings.php* will be generated.
   5. Delete the new configuration file (*LocalSettings.php*)
   6. Rename *LocalSettings.old.php* back to *LocalSettings.php*
   7. Restore permissions on the *config* directory

So all what i get is a new LocalSettings.php and no update. U can call me
"Frank" but this really does not work for me.