[Mediawiki-l] Conflict with extension developers in reservation of custom namespaces
mike at zelea.com
Thu Sep 22 08:13:35 UTC 2011
Hello to all,
I'm posting to request help with a conflict in namespace registration:
Wiki admins are looking for a safe range of namespaces to use for
custom, site-specific purposes. A little over a year ago, we floated
the range 500-599 on the registration talk page. There were no
objections, so, a couple of months ago we reserved the range and
amended the manual. You can see the discussion in section 4:
It turns out that an extension had already been using that range.
Apparently the developer forgot to register it (see section 5, above).
I guess he spoke to someone else, because just yesterday:
* The namespace registration system was replaced with a "default"
system and the page was moved:
* The range 500-599 is no longer marked as reserved in the same
manner as the extensions are marked.
* A Liquid Threads extension was enabled on the talk page. (I
mention this because it fails on my Firefox 3.6, so I can't use
the talk page anymore.)
I guess the issue isn't open for discussion there, anyway. Please
someone else take a thought for the needs of the admins, and:
1. Pick a range to reserve for site-specific use. A whole block of
100 would be ideal, if that's possible.
2. Clearly mark the range as reserved, in the same manner as the
extension ranges are marked. For example:
3. Update the manual to reflect these changes:
The extension developer (the one who forgot to register his namespace)
says this is a "silly" request, but I think it's quite reasonable.
PS - Could someone also add a link to this thread from the talk page?
I am no longer able to post there.
Toronto, +1 416-699-9528
More information about the MediaWiki-l