[Mediawiki-l] Repository directory [mediawiki]/trunk clean up

Krinkle krinklemail at gmail.com
Mon Sep 19 01:18:15 UTC 2011

Hi,

When browsing through [mediawiki]/trunk [1] I see a lot of things that have
piled up over the years. Now that we have /trunk/tools [2] and the separate
[wikimedia] repository, perhaps some things should be re-organized.

A few examples:

* /trunk/backup: This is the script for generating data dumps for
Wikimedia's public wikis.
Perhaps move this to /tools or perhaps to trunk of the [wikimedia] repo.

* /trunk/mwdumper: Tool for extracting sets of pages from an MW dump file
If this works for regular mediawiki dumps, probably a good one to be moved
to /tools

* /trunk/lucene-search-2: Lucene-search 2.1: search extension for MediaWiki
Sounds like something that should be in a /libs/ directory of
/trunk/extensions/MWSearch or something

* /trunk/wikiSDK: Attempt at creating a developer friendly SDK for MW
Again, perfect for /tools probably

* /trunk/wap: Wap Wikipedia. quick and dirty Hack for wap.es.wikipedia.org
Doesn't' appear to be used anymore. But since it's used as a fronted to
MediaWiki, perhaps go into /tools, or if wikimedia specific, into
[wikimedia]

*/trunk/wmfmailadmin: Simple mail account maintenance script.
Fairly obvious. [wikimedia]

etc. take a look at the complete list here:
http://svn.wikimedia.org/viewvc/mediawiki/trunk/

Just mentioning here on the mailing list in case there are some
special dirs that needs special treatment before I make a bold move.

--
Krinkle

[1] http://svn.wikimedia.org/viewvc/mediawiki/trunk/
[2] http://svn.wikimedia.org/viewvc/mediawiki/trunk/tools/
(descriptions copied from the README files and/or the initial commit
messages)