[Mediawiki-l] upgrading to Mediawiki 1.17.0

Malka Cymbalista malki.cymbalista at weizmann.ac.il
Thu Sep 15 10:48:08 UTC 2011

Thanks very much for the answer.  We did this and got the following result:

php update.php

MediaWiki 1.17.0 Updater

Going to run database updates for mediawiki
Depending on the size of your database this may take a while!
Abort with control-c in the next five seconds (skip this countdown with --quick) ... 0
...ipblocks table does not exist, skipping new field patch
...ipblocks table does not exist, skipping new field patch
...already have interwiki table
Creating hitcounter table...ok
...recentchanges table does not exist, skipping new field patch
...user table does not exist, skipping new field patch
Creating querycache table...ok
Creating objectcache table...ok
Creating categorylinks table...ok
Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /usr/local/mediawiki-1.17.0/includes/MessageCache.php on line 346
Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /usr/local/mediawiki-1.17.0/includes/MessageCache.php on line 360
A database query syntax error has occurred.
The last attempted database query was:
"SELECT l_from FROM `links` LIMIT 1"
from within function "".
Database returned error "1146: Table 'mediawiki.links' doesn't exist (localhost)"

Any help will be appreciated.

Malki Cymbalista
Webmaster, Weizmann Institute of Science
malki.cymbalista at weizmann.ac.il
>   We are currently running Mediawiki 1.13.3 on a Linux machine and we are trying to upgrade to Mediawiki 1.17.0.  Everything went well until we got to the stage of updating the database.  We ran the command
> % php update.php
> And got the following results:
>
> MediaWiki 1.17.0 Updater
> Going to run database updates for mediawiki
> Depending on the size of your database this may take a while!
> Abort with control-c in the next five seconds (skip this countdown with --quick) ... 0
> ...ipblocks table does not exist, skipping new field patch
> ...ipblocks table does not exist, skipping new field patch
> Creating interwiki table...ok
> Adding default interwiki definitions...done.
> Fatal error: Call to a member function isMultipleKey() on a non-object in /usr/local/mediawiki-1.17.0/includes/installer/MysqlUpdater.php on line 249
>
> Any suggestions on how to proceed will be appreciated.
> Thanks
>
> Malki Cymbalista
> Webmaster, Weizmann Institute of Science
> malki.cymbalista at weizmann.ac.il
> Tel: 08-9343036

Seems we have a bug if the recentchanges table is empty.
Try adding above line 249 of includes/installer/MysqlUpdater.php
 > if ( $meta->isMultipleKey() ) {
the line
 > if ( !$meta ) return;

The indexes patch it applies was added in 1.5, so you should already
have it.