[Mediawiki-l] Using themes / templates

Eric K ek79501 at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 14 21:40:17 UTC 2011

Sorry if this is a newbie question. I've not done my research.

If I want to drastically change the appearance and have new types of navigation on the site and what not, I think I can do that but I need to update that template or theme every time there's an update to the Mediawiki software - this is what I had learned a while ago but it may not be true any longer.

Or is there an easier way to plugin a theme and have it work even after updates? Is this the right thing to check out?
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Theme

Erik