[Mediawiki-l] Problems Installing mediawiki

Chung Kin Mong victormong at gmail.com
Sat Sep 3 13:42:19 UTC 2011

I have followed the instruction from the website "igeek" and installed
the "mediawiki" (the installation software say "successful" or
something like that).

When I go to "http://localhost/wikipedia/" (I install the program
under var/www/wikipedia) the browser display a "blank screen" and I
suppose that is normal because I have not put any data there yet (I
may be wrong here and please confirm my understanding).

I then proceed to down load the "data base dump" by pointing my
browser to  http://download.wikimedia.org/enwiki/20091009/enwiki-20091009-pages-articles.xml.bz2
but it report with ERROR 403: Forbidden!

I recalled that in a previous attempt (i.e. about 20 minutes before I
started the installation) I have been able to browse the page but at
that time I don't know which file to download so I just quit.

I would be much appreciated if someone tell me how to get hold of the
"data base dump file", thanks in advance!

Best regards,

Victor Mong