[Mediawiki-l] MW seems to get confused when IP address of client machine changes while user is logged in

Daniel Friesen lists at nadir-seen-fire.com
Sat Oct 29 19:20:22 UTC 2011

On Sat, 29 Oct 2011 11:58:25 -0700, Dan Nessett <dnessett at yahoo.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 28 Oct 2011 23:30:10 +0200, Platonides wrote:
>
>> Dan Nessett wrote:
>>> After testing, it appears moving to 1.16.5 solves the problem. Should I
>>> file a bug against 1.16.2 and mention it is fixed in 1.16.5? This might
>>> help those who run 1.16.x, x < 5 if, if they run into the same problem
>>
>> Such bug wouldn't get any action. Bugs in 1.16.x are fixed in a new
>> release 1.16.y (y > x). This is already fixed, Nothing we can do to
>> solve people in old versions.
>
> I think you have missed the point. The bug is already fixed in 1.16.5
> (and I presume in later releases). However, many wikis don't upgrade
> regularly. If their situation is like ours, there is a very small tech
> staff and it is unrealistic to upgrade often (we ran 1.13.2 for 3 years
> before upgrading to 1.16.2). In addition, in our case we modify the
> standard distribution with a patchkit, so deploying a new release of MW
> requires applying that kit and testing before going live with it. This is
> not a trivial amount of work.
>
> Consequently, I would guess there are many wikis running 1.16.x, x < 5.
> If they run up against the bug described in this thread and search
> Bugzilla for a fix, they won't find it. If I file a bug describing the
> problem and indicate it is fixed in 1.16.5, it provides those sites with
> knowledge about the problem without posting a question here or elsewhere.

- In x.y.z, the 'z' point releases contain bugfixes and security patches.
The difference between x.y.1 and x.y.2 is tiny, there should be no major
hassle in applying point releases. In fact you should be able to take the
tarball for the point release you're currently on, the tarball for the new
one, create a diff of them, and then apply that diff to your modified code
to apply whatever fixes were added in the point release. Unless you
touched code related to a bug there shouldn't really be any notable
conflicts.
- We don't make x.y.z.w releases, someone brought this bug up in 1.16 it
was considered important enough for 1.16 users, and we released a .z point
release to fix it. To 'release a fix' for this IS to release a .z point
release, and that's already done.

I should also point out that sometime in November the 1.16 major is going
to be considered obsolete and will no longer get ANY bug or security fixes.