[Mediawiki-l] WikiEditor dialogs and caching?

Daniel Barrett danb at VistaPrint.com
Thu Oct 13 14:22:20 UTC 2011

I've been adding custom tools to the WikiEditor toolbar (MW 1.17.0 version) and am running into difficulty with caching.

When I do something simple, such as changing text in a dialog, the change doesn't take effect unless I delete all my browser's cached content (e.g., in Firefox, Tools / Options / Advanced / Network / "Clear Now"). That seems extreme: a browser refresh or hard-refresh ought to be sufficient, right?  Or ideally, no refresh at all.

This is in Firefox 7.1, Firefox 3.6, and IE8.

For example, I created a new dialog:

  $('#wpTextbox1')
    .wikiEditor('addModule', {
      'dialogs': {
        'mytool-module': {
          title: "My title",
          id: 'mytool',
          html: function() {
            return '<p>foo bar</p>';
          },

which is launched from a button:

      $('#wpTextbox1')
        .wikiEditor('addToToolbar',
          {
            'section': 'main',
            'group': 'insert',
            'tools': {
              'mytool': {
                'label': 'my label',
                'type': 'button',
                'icon': mypath,
                'action': {
                  'type': 'dialog',
                  'module': 'mytool-module'
                }
              }
            }
          }
        );

Now if I modify the HTML of the dialog to be "foo bar BLAT" instead of "foo bar", I still see "foo bar" until I clear the browser cache.

However, I can change other parts (say, the button label) without this caching happening.

Is there something else special I should be doing to avoid this level of heavy caching?

Thanks,
DanB