[Mediawiki-l] Special Extension distributor question

Daniel Friesen lists at nadir-seen-fire.com
Sun Nov 27 15:34:04 UTC 2011

On Sun, 27 Nov 2011 07:15:42 -0800, John W. Foster
<jfoster81747 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have Mediawiki 1.17 installed. I have been using the Special Extension
> distributor to download the extensions I want to use. Now it only offers
> to download a 1.18 version ("snapshot" I think). Is this likely to cause
> functional issues with the extension I need. Seems to me the drop down
> should offer both the current or other versions if it truly is making
> the extension for the version listed available. I do not want to update
> my current server to the newest version as I figure it still has a few
> kinks to work out. I will do that when it is actually released. Any
> ideas?
> frosty
What extension?

Extension distributor doesn't really know anything about what versions of
extensions are compatible with what versions of MediaWiki. All ED does is
when you ask for a 1.18, 1.17, etc... version of an extension is give you
the version inside the REL1_## branch that was branched along with that
MediaWiki release.

It's a poor hack. Often the trunk version of an extension will actually
work with stable versions of MediaWiki, so you don't need to use an old
version. And if an extension was written after we branched a REL1_##
branch then that extension probably won't be listed for that version even
if it's compatible.

It's possible that the extension you're talking about was written after
1.17 was branched and we only have a REL branch in 1.18 and the trunk
code. Try just installing the trunk version and see if it works.