[Mediawiki-l] Language change (German→English)

Platonides Platonides at gmail.com
Sun Nov 6 22:27:40 UTC 2011

On 05/11/11 22:41, "Thomas Uwe Grüttmüller" wrote:
> Hi wiki fans
>
> I have a question: What would be the easiest way to change the default language of a wiki from German to English?
>
> I have a wiki about free music, located on a virtual server:
>   http://musik.uni-guehlen.de
>
> At the time of the installation, I chose German, but now I think it would be useful to a lot more people if its default language was English, and if a multilingual approach was used such as the one used at commons.wikimedia.org.
>
> So what do I have to do to switch
> * the default of the user interface
> * the prefix of each namespace (e.g. from “Vorlage:” to “template:”)
> * other language specific stuff

Just set $wgLanguageCode = "en"; where you have $wgLanguageCode = "de";
in your LocalSettings.
The user interfacedefault and the namespace prefixes will change back to
English. Which mean that links to eg. [[Diskussion:Foo]] won't work
anymore, as it is now [[Talk:Foo]].
You'll need to add aliases for each of them.