[Mediawiki-l] Language change (German→English)

"Thomas Uwe Grüttmüller" Sloyment at gmx.net
Sat Nov 5 21:41:20 UTC 2011

Hi wiki fans

I have a question: What would be the easiest way to change the default language of a wiki from German to English?

I have a wiki about free music, located on a virtual server:
  http://musik.uni-guehlen.de

At the time of the installation, I chose German, but now I think it would be useful to a lot more people if its default language was English, and if a multilingual approach was used such as the one used at commons.wikimedia.org.

So what do I have to do to switch
* the default of the user interface
* the prefix of each namespace (e.g. from “Vorlage:” to “template:”)
* other language specific stuff

Thanks,
  Thomas