[Mediawiki-l] Letting other websites use wiki content

Markus Krötzsch markus at semantic-mediawiki.org
Fri May 27 17:52:42 UTC 2011

On 27/05/11 18:18, Eric K wrote:
> Suppose we have a wiki, and we want other websites (blogs and any other sites) to use our wiki content.
> For example say the wiki has different types of random facts about countries. When someone visits a blog, they can see a box where that random fact is presented, and that data is drawn from the wiki.
> Whats the best way to do this? RSS?
> Someone suggested Semantic Mediawiki and I'm looking into that, but I thought I'll ask if anyone else knows what the best way is for a blog or external site to display dynamically generated content that is drawn from the wiki.

Even SMW is only providing additional content exports (JSON, RDF, ...)
but no client-side software to do the actual embedding. For examples of
how this could be done, you could have a look at the DataPress plugin
for Wordpress [1], and the Exhibit library in general. These tools act
on any JSON data, whether provided by SMW or not.

Another set of remote data embedding tools is the Spark library that
feeds on data provided by webservices that support the SPARQL protocol
[2]. SMW does not provide such a web service itself, but you can get it
when using some SPARQL-capable RDF database as a storage back-end for SMW.

If you just want to embed the contents of whole pages, then it would be
possible to do this with a similar communication architecture, but I am
not aware of a library that specifically does this.

Markus

[1] http://code.google.com/p/datapress/
[2] http://km.aifb.kit.edu/sites/spark/