[Mediawiki-l] Not Found on Windows 7

KAMOHELO MOFOKENG kamohelo2003 at yahoo.com
Thu May 12 07:13:33 UTC 2011

Hi All,

I'm trying to run MediaWiki 1.16.5 for the first time on Windows 7.

Before uploading MediaWiki on the apache server, I downloaded the pre-requisites: - Wampserver:      Apache Version: 2.2.17
      PHP Version:    5.3.4
      MySQL Version:  5.1.53

After installing & starting the apache service, I can access localhost: http://127.0.0.1/. However, I can't access http://localhost/wiki/index.php, I get the error: The requested URL /wiki/index.php was not found on this server.

This is after I copied Mediawiki folder to the directory: /wamp/bin/apache/Apache2.2.17/htdocs/.

I have checked the forums for solutions but to no avail. These are the following changes that I have made so far based on the suggestions on the forums:

- I added localSettings.php in the Mediawiki root - I didn't have it before. I then edited the contents of this file as follows: changed the line
$wgScriptPath = "/wiki"; to $wgScriptPath = ;

- Changed contents of the .htaccess to read:     RewriteEngine on
     RewriteCond $1 !^(index\.php|images|robots\.txt)
     RewriteRule ^(.*)$ /index.php/$1 [L]

- Changed the contents of httpd.php file as follows:     <Directory />
          Options FollowSymLinks
          AllowOverride None
          Order deny,allow
          Allow from all
     </Directory>

Can Mediawiki run on Windows 7? What am I missing? What do I still need to configure?
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.Kamo