[Mediawiki-l] New UK cookie rules and MediaWiki

Platonides Platonides at gmail.com
Wed May 11 19:51:10 UTC 2011

Chad wrote:
> On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 11:22 AM, David Gerard <dgerard en gmail.com> wrote:
>> But UK-based MediaWiki sites should be OK, shouldn't they? Does
>> MediaWiki use cookies for anything other than login functionality? Not
>> sure if the "You must have cookies enabled to log in to SITENAME" bit
>> will need rewording for tediously strict compliance.
>>

> MediaWiki core only uses cookies for logging in, and nothing else.
> Lots of extensions probably use cookies for stuff, so I can't speak
> for them.
>
> -Chad

Well, you could argue that the UserName cookie is not strictly necessary
(specially when logged out), although you would too have a hard time
explaining a judge why the LoggedOut one is needed.
However, I think that a disclaimer at Special:UserLogin explaining that
by logging in you store a few cookies should be enough.

I welcome that privacy is being taken more seriously, though.