[Mediawiki-l] Install on Windows Problem

John Durant johndur at comcast.net
Mon Mar 28 19:12:32 UTC 2011

Nat,

I have done 4 or 5 Windows installs of MediaWiki. I never bothered to change permissions.

What the install script does is to write the answers you provide into a file called LocalSettings.php which is located in the \config directory.

The reason for the note about changing permissions on \config is the installation script writes a new LocalSettings.php into the \config directory, hence the script needs permission to write to the config directory. As mentioned earlier, I have never had to change permissions on a Windows box.

After the install completes the LocalSettings.php must be manually moved from the \config into the main installation directory. This is the top level directory for your wiki installation, containing the folders for extensions, bin, etc.

Why all this moving around? Here is what I believe is happening:

When you navigate to the page //localhost/whatever/index.php, a script checks to see if there is a LocalSettings.php file in your /whatever directory. If there is a LocalSettings, the script goes on its way reads LocalSettings to obtain configuration information and opens the index page as requested.

If there is no LocalSettings, the installer script, which lives in the config directory is run. Configuration variables are initialized based on your responses and LocalSettings.php is then created. Next step is to move that new LocalSettings to the main directory.

The reason for this is MW relies on the DefaultSettings.php file to run. Under no circumstances should you change this file. The LocalSettings file consists of a subset of DefaultSettings and is where installation specific information is kept and it may be customizied for your installation. Basically, the devs are protecting you from shooting yourself in the foot by messing with DefaultSettings.

Sorry for the long winded answer. It was for my edification as much as yours. I have to go over this with a few team members tomorrow.

John