[Mediawiki-l] Holding pages for moderation?

Sullivan, James (NIH/CIT) [C] sullivan at mail.nih.gov
Wed Mar 9 21:59:47 UTC 2011

Check out this link which is a discussion about this topic:
http://www.mwusers.com/forums/showthread.php?8872-Want-to-set-up-a-moderated-wiki-what-is-the-best-way
There are a few extensions that probably will do the moderation but who wants to moderate spam?  I would take the advice given in the discussion to not allow users to create their own accounts. Have them send a request to you via email or whatever and then, as a sysop, create their accounts.  Spammers will not be able to create an account and your spam should go way down and with it the need to moderate.

If having users send requests to you is not an option follow the links in the discussion about extensions that allow moderating the wiki.  You should also check out:
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Spam
which gives other options, like captcha, to combat spammers.  Personally I would put moderating last on my list since it increases the persistent workload.

$0.02
-Jim