[Mediawiki-l] Wanted: List moderator

Tim Starling tstarling at wikimedia.org
Wed Mar 2 00:57:23 UTC 2011

On 02/03/11 01:42, Bernard at bernardHulsman.nl wrote:
> With Siebrand Mazeland I had very bad experience see :
>
> https://extensiontesting.wikiation.nl/Extension_testing_license
>
> Assume good faith until proven otherwise.
>
> But it is your choice.

If list members are wondering what this is about, perhaps I can summarise:

A number of MediaWiki community members entered into a collaboration
with Bernard Hulsman's Wikiation in order to develop an extension
testing system. Hulsman readily agreed that the code thus developed
should be open source.

Unfortunately, the MediaWiki community members failed to properly
explain to Hulsman what "open source" actually means. When he found
out that it involved distribution and reuse free of charge, he seemed
genuinely surprised. He posted a message to mediawiki-l with subject
"Please convince me to make my software open source":

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.org.wikimedia.mediawiki/33110

He was not convinced. When the community members asserted their right
to continue distributing Wikiation code, citing the non-revocability
of the GPL, relations soured further. Hulsman made some legal threats,
and began writing personal attacks against the developers involved.

Siebrand Mazeland is a well-respected member of the community and
continues to have my support.

-- Tim Starling