[Mediawiki-l] Can we share template among wikis?

Chau Chee Yang cychau at gmail.com
Fri Jun 3 07:34:17 UTC 2011

Hi,

I have setup a wiki family that use a single source of mediawiki for
multiple wikis database.

To avoid reinvent the wheels and follow the wiki community standard.  I
import some nice templates from wikipedia to my own wikis.

This is great as I don't need to create my own templates.  However, I
forced to import the templates to each wiki database in the family or
else it won't work.  It will become a nightmare to maintain the
templates when my wiki grows.

Is there any ways to share the templates among wikis?  Something like a
meta wiki that able to share out the template for other wiki database to
use.

Even better, if there is a way to use the template directly from
wikipedia.org without export/import so I don't need to maintain my own
templates but enjoy using the templates from community.

Thank you.

Best Regards,
Chau Chee Yang