[Mediawiki-l] Why Facebook and others can't see a wiki's most important image

jidanni at jidanni.org jidanni at jidanni.org
Tue Jul 26 00:42:59 UTC 2011

All I know is attempting to share "http://www.google.com/" on Facebook
gives a pleasing

"Google
 http://www.google.com/

 Search the world's information, including webpages, images, videos and
 more. Google has many special features to help you find exactly what
 you're looking for."

With a crisp Google logo as the first and only logo choice.
Text and logo 100% perfect! ♥♥♥

Now allow us to turn our attention to say, what happens when trying to
share oh,  "http://www.mediawiki.org/" ,

"MediaWiki
 http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/MediaWiki

 Use the links below to explore the site contents. You'll find some
 content translated into other languages, but the primary documentation
 language is English."

1. the URL becomes the longer ugly redirect, but never mind that, that was a
previous argument.

2. Of course we are not given a choice of the site logo, which is my
main argument of this thread, but as the lyrics go, "that's what they
want, that's what they choose". Brian Eno - Cindy Tells Me
http://youtu.be/XC9Rb8G03es

3. How did Facebook choose that snippet of text? It seems that it runs
down to the first <P> outside of a <div> or something.

And they why then when sharing ones average mom and pop wikis,
http://abj.jidanni.org/
http://transgender-taiwan.org/
http://radioscanningtw.jidanni.org
not only does one not get a single image, but not a scrap of text gets
included either. What is it that makes Facebook not see the text sitting
there on the page? What goop is ruining things?

Now turning our attention to Wikia sites, well they fare a bit better in
Facebook.

However attempting to share "http://www.wikia.com/" itself produces no
image whatsoever.

Conclusion: Mediawiki does not pass the Facebook test.